Friday, September 08, 2006
Right Wingers & Bush Try Out New Terminology: Islamo-Fascism. Let Us Define FASCISM
* "A philosophy or system of government that is marked by stringent social and economic control, a strong, centralized government usually headed by a dictator, and often a policy of belligerent nationalism." (From The American Heritage Dictionary)
* The name comes from the Latin fasces – a bundle of rods with a projecting axe, which was the symbol of authority in ancient Rome. The term was applied by Mussolini to his movement after his rise to power in 1922. The Fascists were viciously anti-Communist and anti- liberal and, once in power, relied on an authoritarian state apparatus. They also used emotive slogans and old prejudices (for example, against the Jews) to bolster the leader's strongman appeal. ...
* A social and political ideology with the primary guiding principle that the state or nation is the highest priority, rather than personal or individual freedoms.
* a totalitarian political system led by a single dictator who allows no opposition, promoting an aggressive nationalism and often racism.
* A system of government that promotes extreme nationalism, repression, anticommunism, and is ruled by a dictator.
* A political philosophy, movement, or regime that exalts the nation above the individual; characterized by a centralized government and headed by a dictatorial leader.
* Political philosophy that became predominant in Italy and then Germany during the 1920s and 1930s; attacked weakness of democracy, corruption of capitalism; promised vigorous foreign and military programs; undertook state control of economy to reduce social friction. (p. 870)
* An extreme form of nationalism that played on fears of communism and rejected individual freedom, liberal individualism, democracy, and limitations on the state.
* a political system in which all power of government is vested in a person or group with no other power to balance and limit the activities of the government. Fascist governments are often closely associated with large corporations and sometimes with extreme nationalism and racist activities. Modern fascism is often called "CORPORATISM".
* a political theory advocating an authoritarian hierarchical government (as opposed to democracy or liberalism)
Do these definitions fit Al-Qaeda? Or Bush, Cheney, Limbaugh, Hannity, Coulter, etc?
We report, you decide.